Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Where is My Pay Check?
I ask myself this question every month on the 14th and 25th as well as the 1st, 31st, 12th and just about every three days when I balance my bank account to make sure I don't receive the terrifying "over draft" notification from my bank.  Now, you are probably thinking that I am a big "shopper" or just another underpaid recent college grad, but that's not the case.  I make a decent salary and I still live on a college student budget (six years of undergrad plus grad school makes this seem normal). Even my boyfriend says I  never splurge and should loosen my vice grip on my check-book balancing daily ritual.



But you see, it's not that I can't pay my bills or spend too much on mani/pedi's and Target shopping trips.  It's not that I don't have a job. I have one and a decent one at that with some benefits and even bonuses! It's that today's world for Millennials (this is what they are calling us 20-somethings with a degree and no paycheck to match) is just not living up to what our parents said it would be like.  Our paychecks don't get us all the way through the month without some sacrifices and those dreams of owning a home before 30 with two kids are starting to become more of a fairy tale than a reality. The fact is that we need to make some changes and break away from the financial guidelines our parents have lived by.

So this blog will be for all those Millennials like me who are working hard but still worry that the money we are making just won't cut it.  With gas, groceries, insurance, clothing, and everything else on the rise, we need to starting making smart money moves. There is a lot of information out there, but sometimes we hear so many voices that we tune them all out and do nothing hoping all the noise is just hype. It's likely to be a bumpy ride, but hopefully the bottom won't fall out on us like it has on many of our parents who had everything to lose if we start planning now.

Check out my first link from the Today Show dearly titled:
3 Big Career Mistakes Millennials Make

No comments:

Post a Comment